Coach House publishes innovative poetry, literary fiction, drama and select nonfiction.
We do not publish children’s books, memoirs, self-help books, cookbooks, historical romances, mysteries or science-fiction.
We receive about a thousand submissions per year and accept only ten or so. Poet Bob Cobbing says, ‘The only excuse for being a poet today is to add to the quality of poetry, to add a quality which was not there before.’ We agree. We are interested in work that reconsiders or pushes against convention.
If you would like to submit, please take the time to familiarize yourself with the books on our list to make sure that you are a good fit. It sure won’t hurt your case to show that you know what we do and that you support it – maybe even by buying a book!
Please note that we publish only Canadian authors, and that we do not publish books that have been previously published and assigned an ISBN (including ebooks).
To submit, please follow these guidelines:
- Please send your complete manuscript, along with an introductory letter that describes your work and compares it to at least two current Coach House titles, explaining how your book would fit our list, and a literary CV listing your previous publications and relevant experience.
- We prefer to receive electronic submissions. Please email Word or PDF files to email@example.com and include the cover letter and CV as a part of the manuscript.
- You can also send your manuscript to 80 bpNichol Lane, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3J4. Please do not send it by XpressPost or Canada Post courier – regular Canada Post mail is much more likely to arrive here.
- If you mail a hard copy of your manuscript and would like it returned back, please enclose a large enough self-addressed envelope with adequate postage. If you don’t want your MS back, please provide an e-mail address or a small stamped envelope.
- Please send your manuscript only once. Revised and updated versions will not be read, so make sure you're happy with your text before sending.
- All correspondence regarding poetry submissions should be directed to Coach House Books using the contact information listed above, not to individual members of our poetry board.
- Be patient. We try to respond promptly, but we do receive hundreds of submissions, so it may take us several months to get back to you. Please do not call or email to check on the status of your submission. We will answer you as promptly as possible.