Coach House publishes innovative poetry, literary fiction, drama and select nonfiction.
We do not publish children’s books, cookbooks, fantasy, historical romances, memoirs, mysteries, science-fiction or self-help books.
We receive several hundred submissions per year and accept only ten or so. Poet Bob Cobbing says, ‘The only excuse for being a poet today is to add to the quality of poetry, to add a quality which was not there before.’ We agree. We are interested in work that reconsiders or pushes against convention.
If you would like to submit, please take the time to familiarize yourself with the books on our list to make sure that you are a good fit. It sure won’t hurt your case to show that you know what we do and that you support it – maybe even by buying a book!
Please note the following:
- We publish only Canadian authors. The reason for this is that most Canadian-owned publishers, including Coach House, are made viable in part by grant funding from federal and provincial levels of government. Access to these grants requires that we prioritize the publication of Canadian authors.
- We cannot publish books that have been previously published and assigned an ISBN (including ebooks), or that will be self-published while they are under consideration at Coach House Books. We have found that representing books that have already been on the market presents considerable challenges to our marketing and distribution efforts – ones that we as a small press lack the resources to deal with effectively.
To submit, please follow these guidelines:
- For fiction and poetry submissions, please send your complete manuscript, along with an introductory letter that describes your work and compares it to at least two current Coach House titles, explaining how your book would fit our list, and a literary CV listing your previous publications and relevant experience.
- For drama submissions, please include in your introductory letter information about past and forthcoming productions.
- For nonfiction submissions, including those for our Exploded Views series, please send a brief proposal and outline, along with your literary CV.
- We much prefer to receive electronic submissions. Please put your cover letter and CV into one Word or PDF file along with the manuscript and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd appreciate it if you would name your file following this convention: Last Name, First Name - MS Title
- You can also send your manuscript to 80 bpNichol Lane, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3J4. Please do not send it by XpressPost or Canada Post courier – regular Canada Post mail is much more likely to arrive here.
- If you mail a hard copy of your manuscript and would like it returned back, please enclose a large enough self-addressed envelope with adequate postage. If you don’t want your MS back, please provide an e-mail address or a small stamped envelope.
- Please send your manuscript only once. Revised and updated versions will not be read, so make sure you're happy with your text before sending.
- Owing to the volume of submissions we receive, we cannot accept multiple submissions (more than one manuscript at a time).
- Please advise in your cover letter if your work is a simultaneous submission (submitted to other publishers at the same time). Notify us promptly if it is accepted elsewhere.
- All correspondence regarding poetry submissions should be directed to Coach House Books using the contact information listed above, not to individual members of our poetry board.
- Be patient. We try to respond promptly, but we do receive hundreds of submissions, so it may take us several months to get back to you. Please do not call or email to check on the status of your submission. We will answer you as promptly as possible.